Saturday, December 29, 2012

Winter Reading: Mortality



The journey continues...

This morning I put out a cry for help! I needed recommendations for short reads to help complement my efforts to complete "Atlas Shrugged" over the next few weeks. The first response that rolled in urged me to read "Mortality" from Christopher Hitchens. A very quick read about a man dying from esophageal cancer. A writer that was losing his voice. 

Aside from Hitchens unique viewpoints, I took particular interest in Hitchens' thoughts on "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch and how it had "gone viral." Clearly the video has been consumed by many seeking a source of inspiration and uplift. However, Hitchens ever-so-briefly undressed Pausch's final curtain call with an unexpected dose of cynicism. 

No comments: