Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another One Bites The Dust

I remember when we first got our brand spanking new Gateway computer. Before I could even fix myself to sit down and begin playing Minesweeper or Solitaire or some other seemingly cool game, I was yelling to at my mother.

"Mom, let's go buy the burner before BEST BUY closes!"

I was amped. Picked up the first burner we could find and installed it on day one. Also purchased hundreds of blank CDs. It was the beginning of an era.

First it was Napster. Then there was Bear Share. A brief stop at Audio Galaxy and then I found myself completing the journey with Lime Wire and Kazaa.

Getting all of the new music first was my business. Overnight downloads on a 56k modem and a single phone line in the house. It was that serious.

About a decade later, people who began there quests just as innocently as me, have now crippled many portions of the industry. If you aren't an outlier with extreme talents, don't plan on moving units. If you do move units, it'll probably be online. So don't expect to get a big cut of that pie. Things in the game done changed. It'll be interesting to see if there is anything that can be done to bring the music industry back to the glory of years past.

Check out more details here

No comments: