Thursday, April 30, 2009

Facebook, or Hatebook?



Reading up on Peter Thiel leaves me a bit conflicted. Statements that he made admonishing the acceptance of the gay population at Stanford University seem to allude to some twisted case of self-hatred, given that Thiel is himself a gay man. But I suppose that he's not fully out of the closet...

Thiel, a billionaire and key player at Facebook, recently made headlines for voicing opinions that seem to suggest that women's suffrage is problematic to America's quest for freedom and democracy. Which may also be part of the reason that he would prefer not to sleep with women...

In addition to all of this nonsense, Thiel also questioned the ability of multiculturalism to truly produce an intellectually stimulating environment. In fact, he suggests that minorities at Stanford made the school less intelligent. Which would mean that the legacy of diversity of Stanford continues to deteriorate the value of a degree issued by the West Coast Ivy and that I played a critical role in devaluing the degrees of my peers (particularly my white peers who also happened to be males)...

This is almost a perfect storm. Peter is upsetting me. While this man has likely accrued more wealth than I will ever see throughout the duration of my humble life, he has proven beyond all doubt that money cannot buy one's way out of ignorance. In a world where truth and time are both fleeting, it is virtually impossible to determine who is right in an absolute sense - and how long their correctness will remain valid and applicable.

Nevertheless, there are statements that are so blatantly dropped from the asshole of an individual that it is impossible to distill any sense of logic from all of the bullshit. It's really comforting to know that Mr. Thiel views an individual such as myself as nothing more than a financial opportunity. Beyond any revenues that I can earn for him and his other Facebook allies via my usage and promotion of the site, I am nothing more than an intellectual inferior that is undeserving of sharing academic halls with scholars such as himself.

Be careful Facebook. You're only as good as the company you keep. You don't want to have the NAACP, NOW and a bunch of other groups organizing the first march against an online social networking site...

No comments: