Sunday, March 29, 2009

Still Standing



One of the most terrifying moments of my post-collegiate life came to pass on Thursday. For the first time, I realized that the real world is anything but fun and games. Instead, the real world proved to be just as cold as my mother used to tell me, and by the graces of God I was spared from being thrust out into the thunder storm.

My company laid off several hundred employees on Thursday. Like any other day, me and my colleagues arrived at the office. We shared hellos with co-workers and ventured into the cafeteria to eat a hearty morning breakfast. Each of us then went to our respective workstations and got prepared for the tasks on our immediate horizons.

And because it did not happen to me, I cannot fully relay what the experience must have been like. But for some of my colleagues, a morning email was waiting. This email delivered harsh news. Their ride on what many believed to be a ship straight out of a fairy tale had finally come to an end almost as quickly as it began.

News of layoffs left me completely and utterly numb. I had no words. Even now, I still feel uncertainties regarding my professional wellbeing and have not the slightest idea what I would have done if I had received an unwanted email on Thursday morning.

No grand message that I'm looking to relay with this post. Instead, I'm simply thankful that I still have work. I feel for my friends and pray that the find themselves back on solid ground as quickly as possible. This recession that we are facing just got a lot realer in my eyes. What was once a foreign notion is now quite native to me and my company. Monday morning marks a new chapter. After experiencing something like this, I am certain that I will never be the same again.

1 comment:

Zainep said...

Ditto. I'm still in shock.