Monday, November 17, 2008

Team Building



I bet I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that adults dressed in laser tag equipment look ridiculous. And you know what? You're correct.

And I bet I know what else you're thinking. You're thinking that an announcement at work informing you that your department's offsite trip would be to a laser tag arena would result in much sighing and disapproving head shaking. Again, I understand your outlook on the situation.

However, your thoughts are nothing relative to my experiences. I really look foolish in laser tag equipment. And upon hearing that our department trip would be to play laser tag, I fell into a state of disbelief. I asked myself and my peers time and time again: Isn't laser tag for kids?????

Many of my co-workers agreed.

Yet, before setting sail for our trip and partaking in this "team building exercise" I made a commitment to being an activity participant in the days activity and truly striving to get the most out of the experience.

Despite walking into an establishment that smelled like feet, a staunch odor similar to that of a skating rink, I maintained my composure. Despite listening to awkward employee #1 (aka Space Mooose) ask a set of painfully boring trivia questions to our team, I still stood strong. And even after catching wind of the fact that I would have to stand around for 30 minutes in the arcade area without a quarter to my name while waiting for the first round of laser tag to conclude, I did not falter. I was going to make the absolute best out of this opportunity.

And you know what? I had a lot of fun! Something about walking into dark rooms filled with fake walls and glow-in-the-dark stickers is appealing. Something about shooting at each other with toys guns really got the team's adrenaline rushing. And while I'm not exactly sure that there were any major team building lessons to be taken away from our session, I can say that our team will undoubtedly benefit greatly thanks to this chance for us to let our hair down (figuratively speaking) and take our minds off of work.

Sometimes I run the risk of being too cool for school. But today I wasn't. Today, just like every other day, there was no "I" in team.

(Unless of course you're in a Spanish-speaking nation)

ps - Shout out to Agent Ding. If it weren't for laser tag, she would not have come into my life. Now her and I both have blogs. We're poised to be the next power couple in the blogosphere.

No comments: