Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Witnessing History



Today, Karen Bass was sworn in as the first African American female Speaker of the California State Assembly.

It was undoubtedly a historic moment filled with larger than life political figures that have written many chapters of Californian history. Now that Ms. Bass is wielding the pen, I am certain that she will write passages that forge the path to a better and brighter California.

As the product of a single-parent household headed by a Black woman, words can't even begin to describe the admiration and respect that I have for women like Speaker Bass. Her humility and her integrity have carried, and will continue to carry, her to new plateaus of achievement in both her professional and personal life. Although I do not know her personally, I can say without any reservation that she is a role model for men and women alike in this state and in this great nation.

Therefore, I'm taking a time out from my shit talking and farcical tales to say...Congratulations Speaker Bass!

No comments: