Sunday, May 11, 2008

Speed Racer Crashes and Burns



Ok, so I'm not going to suggest that I'm a prophet or anything like that. But I will say this: I have my finger on America's pulse. No one wanted to see an entire movie shot in front of a green screen.

As one of my co-workers so keenly stated, "If you saw the third installment of the Matrix Trilogy, you won't have high expectations for the Speed Racer release."

After pulling down only $20 million during a weekend that saw Iron Man rack up another $50 million in ticket sales, the movie is expected to have a difficult time recouping its $120 million production budget. In fact, things went so poorly for the Speed Racer film that it found itself in a virtual tie with the new release What Happens in Vegas starring Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz. Considering the fact that 9 out of Ashton Kutcher's last 10 movies were identical to What Happens in Vegas, Mr. Kutcher has reason to rejoice and Mr. Racer has reason to put his car and park and hope that he lives to race another day.

No comments: