Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bush wants to keep gas prices high



And oddly enough, I think he may be leaning in the right direction.

President Bush is actually doing the right thing by discouraging Congress' efforts to suspend oil deposits into the nation's strategic petroleum reserve. Estimates suggest that this short-term solution would only knock about a nickel off of current gas prices. Senator Wayne Allard from Colorado was the only soul brave enough to vote against the measure which in my eyes another example of Washington at its worst.

Granted, my perspective is a little different given the fact that I walk to work. But I also pay $100 to park my underutilized car next to my apartment building - so I feel some pain either way.

Nevertheless, this non-substantive proposal does nothing to address the underlying issue of American reliance on foreign oil. I dislike this proposal completely and would've rather heard something sweepingly drastic that called for the ban of driving on Sundays and Wednesdays...or some other ridiculous shit that would really ruffle feathers.

Not unlike Senator Clinton, all of these other mofos want are pandering to the public in hopes of getting elected. And they know better than most of us know that the public is filled with ill-advised voters who know little more than the fact that the price of gas is kicking ass. I won't call them idiots for fear of sounding elitist. But I do have a professor that once said that "the voting public is filled with idiots." I circled that quote after taking it down in my notes so that I could redirect my attention to it while studying...

With the price of oil continuing to climb (hovering around $127 today), and the escape valve on the bill being set at $75, this is clearly a piece of crap that is grounded in unrealistic assumptions that will have an underwhelming impact. Even my candidate voted for the measure, which is to me just a mangled variation of the Clinton-McCain Gas Tax Holiday.

Look, there are positive lessons to be gained from this whole oil fiasco. Americans need to invest heavily in alternative forms of energy and we also need to invest heavily in the development of public transportation infrastructure. Certain matters in this affair are out of our hands - not even Bombs over Baghdad can remedy this issue. But we can work to combat some of the deeply rooted flaws in American society. We can walk more. We can turn off the lights when not in use. We can carpool to work. We can take the bus which we have so long viewed as being beneath us. We can make things work without destabilizing long term American interests in the process.

Mr. Bush has flatly told Congress no in the past. Given his lack of a vested interest in the November elections, the only obstacle standing in the way could be his hopes of salvaging the already severely tarnished legacy that he will leave behind once he vacates the White House.

No comments: