Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Worst Look of the Day - Clintons Don't Quit



I'm sure it's not surprising to hear me say that I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan.

However, after hearing Bill Clinton reiterate his wife's desire to press forward with her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, I felt myself retreat even deeper into anti-Hillary views.

Now hear me out. It has undoubtedly been a love-hate affair with me and the Clintons. In fact, my views toward the Clintons are nicely dichotomized. In 1992, as a 7-year old, I got the impression that the election of Bill Clinton was what America needed. Despite the sexual deviance that characterized his tenure and arguably characterize Mr. Clinton as an individual, he was MY PRESIDENT. When he spoke, I felt his words. He was speaking to me and he was speaking for me. I will not go as far as saying that he was the first Black president. But the way he effortlessly kissed Black babies and appealed to Black voters made me feel that his election was tantamount to the election of an African American president.

In other words, I was willing to take what I could get.

Of course, it's hard to ignore the fact that Bill Clinton did play a role in advancing the Conservative agenda. During his presidency, the War on Drugs which was birthed by Reagan, kept on trucking right ahead. People often overlook this fact and reference the strength of the economy during Clinton's eight years in office. And while I don't want to take anything away from the effectiveness of the Clinton Administration, it is hard not to note the role that good economic timing played for President Clinton.

Nevertheless, before the South Carolina comments and after the South Carolina comments, William Jefferson Clinton is still my guy.

Yet, the antagonistic approach that the media has taken in its coverage of Hillary has prevented me from seeing the merits of a Clinton nomination or, on a larger scale, a(nother) Clinton presidency.

Part of my adoration for Obama stems from his efforts to run his campaign magnanimously. Senator Clinton, however, has shown time and time again that it is not about the American people. Her campaign is aimed at obtaining an avenue toward further self-aggrandizement for Senator Clinton. She is hungry for the power associated with the presidency and she appears to be willing to obtain that power by any means necessary.

Senator Obama has addressed any pitfalls along the way directly and sured up his supporters whenever we have stood on shaky ground. While doing so, Senator Clinton has misled, deceived, attacked, behaved as a sore loser and shown total disregard for the Democratic Party's chance to regain the White House and to save this great nation from the downward spiral that it was sent into by President Bush.

I agree wholeheartedly with Speaker Pelosi's assertions that pledged delegates should stay put and act as representatives of the popular vote. Bill Richardson's decision to highlight the importance of Senator Obama's speech on race was timely and appropriate. And the media's decision to further demonize Senator Clinton in the wake of her flip flopping on NATO, her misspeaking about sniper fire in Bosnia and her unwillingness to accept the numbers.

Is this happening because she's a woman?

Maybe that's part of the reason. I won't block that out of the equation. I have grappled with this internally to ensure that I'm not being a sexist and positively discriminating against Obama due to his gender and his race. But ultimately, I came to belive, that the media is portraying an accurate image of the real Hillary Clinton. She is an opportunist who has trouble coping with the truth. It has never been about her sex. Now, it is becoming increasingly clear that it is about the tactics and her tact (or lack thereof). As Carl Bernstein, a Hillary biographer, writes in the article cited above:

As Hillary has continued to speak from the protective shell of her own making, and packaged herself for the widest possible consumption, she has misrepresented not just facts but often her essential self. Great politicians have always been marked by the consistency of their core beliefs, their strength of character in advocacy, and the self-knowledge that informs bold leadership. Almost always, Hillary has stood for good things. Yet there is a disconnect between her convictions and her words and actions. This is where Hillary disappoints. But the jury remains out. She still has time to prove her case, to effectuate those things that make her special, not fear them or camouflage them. We would all be the better for it, because what lies within may have the potential to change the world, if only a little.


Please Hillary. Enough is enough. Don't view dropping out of the race as quitting - view it as conceding to the better candidate and making way for a true Solution for America.

No comments: